8.18.2008

The Olympics

So, Emmy has had to follow the Olympics, specifically Wrestling, for school. So we DVR, than watch when we can. Cause really, who has an extra 17 hours a day to watch them?

I'm REALLY embarrassed to say this, but I am TOTALLY confused.

I thought they were for amateur athletes.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but really, isn't that what they used to be?

I really enjoy watching them, but then when I read the news or listen to recaps on the radio, I get lost.

Like this morning when I ran Em to school.

On the radio they were talking about them, "Michael Phelps...gazillion gold medals...girls gymnastics...blahhh...Venus & Serena Williams....

WAIT.

HOLD UP.

TOTALLY confused.

Aren't Venus & Serena tennis Pros?

I'm not into sports too much, but I read enough to know their names.

Why are they in the Olympics?

And how does Michael Phelps earn 5 million dollars last year and is still considered an amateur?

I'm going to go "Bone Up" on my Olympic knowledge, because this is really bugging me not knowing the criteria.

Um.....apparently I'm NOT soooooo busy.


UPDATE:

Holy Schneitters!!!!

Who knew this was such a SENSITIVE subject.

This was the first response I found when I googled: 

Question:  "Are the Olympics for Amateurs or Professionals"

Answer:  The Olympics hasn't been about Amateurs since 1988. Look it up, moron.

So, 

they're for both amateurs and professionals and I'm a moron.

Case closed.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Hey, put me and hubby on the moron list too! We were asking the same freakin questions!

Sharpie said...

Here is what I know - the Americans were the only country where we were actually still sending only our amateurs and the rest of the countries sent their "amateurs" in name only. See they would send their Michael Jordans to compete against your little cousin Louis right out of college. Not fair. So, the rules changed.

Nikki said...

Whoever answered your Google question obviously has really painful hemmorrhoids. And massive acne. I'm just saying...

Crewton said...

Hey don't feel bad. One: I never even thought about it, and Two: some of those athlets look like amatures. But that is good information to know. You are great for filling my head with usless knoledge that one day I will be sitting around, then this subject will come up and I will know the answer because of you!!! Thanks. How are you, Haven't talked to you forever.

WhiteEyebrows said...

I could start this with "this makes me feel old but..." but I'm far too young for that...

I remember when the pros first got to compete in the olympics... the Dream Team (basketball), remember?

PS. sorry for my absence on checking your blog. I just put you into my google reader, so I'll be much better at reading and commenting now...

Shanell said...

Yay, I really haven't been into the olympics since 1988. I just can't quite get it with the pros the non pros the sports, the way the network shows you what they want and the time differences and yada, yada, yada. So, I AM A MORON!

Shanell said...

Nexr, I have missed way too much! I am so proud of UK and her great guest post. The commercial was seriously funny. All your great info, Lana, is so wonderfully witty and welcome to my life. I enjoyed every post I read and because of my lack of time can not give my comment the attention it deserves. But can't wait to see you tomorrow even though I am starting to wonder if you and my mom have something you want to talk to me about? I am a little nervous about that now, not gonna lie.