8.20.2008

Shrimp

So, about six months ago, the girls start begging for a new pet.  I tell them "NO.  I think 93 dogs is enough."

They keep pleading and bugging over the next few weeks.  I finally give in and say they can get another fish.   So one day, I dropped them off at PetSmart while I went to Wal-Mart so they could pick out their new fish.  When I pick them up, they come out and they are both just GRINNING from ear to ear, "We got Shrimp!"  Now if you knew my daughter Holly, at this point you would think,  Shrimp, of course, it makes PERFECT sense.

There was four shrimp, and they set up their home on the bathroom counter, as the bathroom is common domain.

Well, I thought they'd live a couple of weeks, and then we'd be done.

OH NO.  Those suckers live forever.

Or so I thought.

I had held off on relocating them, hoping they would die, so I could just wash out the tank and be done with it.  (again, another nomination for Mother of the Year!)

So Emmy is with me last week, I was downstairs and she was upstairs. 

I finished what I had been doing, and went up to help her.  I see her in the bathroom leaning over the tank with the Shrimp food shaker.

I yell, "WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?"

Emmy:  "I'm feeding the shrimp.  Oh mom, you should have seen them, I got here in JUST the nick of time.  They were almost dead."

I was THIS close to being free of having that tank on the counter.  ARGGHH!

So I breathe a heavy sigh and come to the realization that the shrimp and their habitat will be relocating as well.  So yesterday I put them in the car and when I got here I brought them in and put them on my bathroom counter for the time being.

This morning I was giving Muffin a haircut and Emmy came in and saw the tank.

E:  OHHH...Yay.  I didn't know they were here.

Me:  Yeah, I brought them yesterday.  See, I'm a nice mom after all.

Emmy peers into the tank, then she lets out a shreek-

THEY'RE ALL CUT IN HALF!!!!  

WHAT DID YOU DOOOOOO?  

YOUR A SHRIMP KILLERRRRR!!!!!!!

and she runs to her room, furious with me.

Add Murderous Shrimp Killer to my LONG list of names.

FOR THE RECORD:  I guess the rocks on the bottom of their tank, shifted back and forth in the car and they must have got caught up in them.  I did not cut them in half.


4 comments:

WhiteEyebrows said...

"Shrimp killer!" Hilarious!

Sharpie said...

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL *seriously, I'm crying* LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL shrimp...killer....hilarious!!

Nikki said...

Shrimp Killer - I love it! I mean, I feel awful for poor Emmy, but I'm also giggling way too much right now to be believed...

Were More Than Just Grandparents said...

You were trying to do the right thing. Sometimes life is like oh how would you say it, like giving a bunny a fresh breathe of air it was the thought that counts your heart was telling you to take care of the pets.