2.14.2008

Thursday 13: My transportation through the years

Early 70's: Bicycle with banana seat. Of course.


Late 70's: Light pink Schwinn bicycle from DI (a thrift store) that had a HUGE seat and baskets on the back for delivering my newspapers. It tipped over every time I filled it up with the papers.


1985: First car was a yellow Vega that my parents bought from the lady across the street. Every time you started it, it smelled like rotten eggs. Try driving THAT to high school.


1986: My dad's 1980's green Chevy Caprice Classic. He switched the Vega with me. He didn't care if they made fun of it at Motorola.

1987: Twinkie. A 1967 yellow VW. The first car that I paid for with my own money. It was $500, I LOVED that car. I wrecked it on the first day, I rear-ended a Toyota 4x4, so the hood was L shaped from then on out. Then a boyfriend decided he would rebuild the engine for me, it sat in his garage in a million pieces forever, then my dad picked it up, and gave it a new life and a new owner. I'm so sad, I have NO pictures of that car, just fond memories. I once fit a couch in that car that I got at a yardsale, THAT'S impressive.

1990: Nissan Sentra. Bland but practical for the time.

1991: Hyundai Excel. Bill wrecked it, twice. I had a front license plate that said "HOTT" I'm so embarrassed.

Early 90's: Chevy Luv, keys got lost, so Bill had to hotwire it every time by jamming a screwdriver in the ignition. Then one time he was coming home to the barrio, and the Police had it all blocked off and were stopping everyone. The description they had was of a similar truck like ours. They had a bull horn and told Bill to turn off the car and throw the keys on the ground. He threw out the screwdriver. TRUE STORY.

Mid 90's: As our family grew, we needed a bigger car, but had NO money. NONE. Bill's mom knew an old lady that was selling a full size Buick Station wagon for $500. We wrote her a check that bounced twice before it cleared. I feel really bad about that. Anyways...her name was Ann Fox and she had personalized plates that said A. Fox. So we drove around with this HUGE car with no AC and those plates. Good Times.


Late 90's: Hand me down Astro van from my parents. Thanks, mom & dad.

2000: Blue/purple Ford Windstar. Boy I thought we were living large. It started EVERY time, had AC & heat, a radio, and I could park it the first time I tried.

2004: GMC Yukon. I got it vs. a suburban because I didn't want to be "stereo-typed" and thought it was COMPLETLY different than a suburban.



Current: Chevy Suburban. I caved, I am what I am. (No, we are not "people of color," not that there's anything wrong with that. Bill picked out the rims, he's WAY flashier than me.)

1 comment:

Crewton said...

Love it! I had a tendency to wreck cars when we were first married. One was paid off and wrecked it 1 week before our wedding, and only 2 days after I got on Sheldon's insurance. Great way to start our a marriage! Love the new car, you are totally binging it now.