5.05.2008

A Phone call I hope I NEVER get again.

So, our normal routine in the morning is Holly gets up & ready. Then she leaves.

Then Emmy & Austin get up, get ready, then they leave.

While they are all getting ready I'm usualy just putzing around on the computer, then when they leave I walk them out and say good-bye etc. Then I start my stuff I have to do.

Well, this morning was a little different because I knew I had to take the car in, etc. So while they were getting ready, I was running around getting laundry started and getting MYSELF ready. So, I was in the laundry room when they left, but they hollered bye, and I heard the door shut.

Bill called about 9:30 and said he was on his way to follow me to the dealer in case my tire blew or anything. He gets here, we leave. He's following me and we're just about to get on the freeway (which is about 5 miles from home) and my phone rings. Caller ID says it's Emmy & Austins school.

Me: Hello

School: Hi, Mrs. M- is Austin home sick today and you just havn't had a chance to call it in yet?

Me: umm...Nooo.

School: Is he at home?

me: no. He's at school.

School: Well, his teacher marked him absent, let me call her room to see if she marked him by mistake.

silence while she checks with the teacher

school: Mrs. M- Austin never showed up to school today, are you SURE he's not at home?

My heart is racing.

And I think back through the morning. I woke him up. He came down and ate. He went back upstairs. I heard him get in the shower. I said bye. I heard the door shut.

OMG. OMG. OMG.

My body started shaking uncontrollably and I could not speak.


me: well, I'm not at home.

school: do you want me to send someone over to check?

me: yes!

me: Wait, I have a dog in the house who will NEVER let you get past him. My husband is right behind me, let me call him.

So, I call Bill. He flips the truck around as I'm telling him and blows through the red light blaring his horn. He flies home.

meanwhile, I also turned around and am heading back home. I can barely drive. Bill is going SO fast that I lose him in my sight. I'm trying not to go to fast because of the tire.





Finally my phone rings again.

It is Bill.










He found Austin.





In his room. Curled up in a ball, naked and still wrapped up in his towel.


Asleep.


In his bed.




(another entry for Mother of the Year)

4 comments:

Karen said...

OMG! You had be scrolling as fast as I could to make sure you found him at home.I know you must have thought you were going to have a heart attack! Thank goodness he was at home.
Let me tell you my daughter's elementary does not make such calls and I wish they did, as she rides her bike to school and I'd like to be assured she got there, ya know?!

Courtney said...

I was getting nervous for you as I was reading the post. Glad he was just home asleep. Being wrapped in a towel after a shower is a very calming affect. So many times I wish that I could just take a nap afterwards.

Nikki said...

Oh you poor thing! I bet that took ten years off your life! SO glad it worked out good...

Sharpie said...

I just sprouted gray hairs for you. Lucky for all of us - I dye it faithfully! Thank goodness he's alright!